As a chef and Green Goddess here at Boca Magazine, I am committed to bringing different choices to our readers. Whether you are eating red meat, limiting your animal proteins to seafood or keeping to a strictly vegan lifestyle, we all can agree that eating your fruits and vegetables is highly beneficial for the body. Here are our top 5 reasons why we love vegetarian foods:
- Vegan foods don’t have any cholesterol. All fruits and vegetables are naturally cholesterol free, so they won’t clog the arteries. On the contrary, the fiber in fruits and vegetables will help clean out the body.
- Fruits and vegetables are the fastest-transient foods, meaning they won’t get stuck in the colon or make you feel weighed down. If you want to feel thin and light, try incorporating more fruits and vegetables in your diet and reducing animal proteins.
- Vegan foods promote health and happiness not only for the body but also for the planet. Conventional animal farming takes a big toll on environment and by trying vegetarian way of eating you can decrease your carbon footprint.
- Fruits and vegetables give us the vitamins and antioxidants that animal proteins don’t have. In order to survive and thrive, our bodies need vitamins and antioxidants to fight off the free radicals. Plant-based foods provide a plethora of the phytonutrients our bodies need.
- Fruits and vegetables can help us decrease cravings for many foods. For example, whole grains, such as rice, millet, quinoa, buckwheat, oats and oatmeal can provide the body with good complex carbs and help your body stop cravings for junk food.
If you want to experience the benefits of vegetarian foods, here are three easy recipes!
1 cup oat flour (you can pulse whole oats and then measure out a cup)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
1 mashed banana
1 teaspoon agave or coconut nectar
1 Follow Your Heart egg replacer
1 cup almond milk
¼ teaspoon salt
Mix all the dry ingredients, set aside. Mash the banana and mix with the egg substitute and almond milk. Combine all ingredients and make pancakes.
Serve pancakes with your favorite syrup.
Superfood Quinoa Salad
1 13-ounce box of Organic Chickpeas
2 Cups Cooked Organic Quinoa
½ Cup Organic Yellow Peppers
1/3 cup Cheery Tomatoes, Cut in Halves
1/3 Cup Goji Berries
1/3 Cup Pumpkin Seeds
1/3 Cup Organic Hemp Seeds
3 Cups Organic Fresh Spinach, Chopped
1 tbs 100% Italian, Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tbs Organic Balsamic Vinegar
Mix all ingredients to create a high-protein, superfood meal
1 10-oz box of organic un-flavored kidney beans
1 12-ounce jar organic salsa
1 Package of Beyond meat feisty crumbles
1/2 cup Daiya cheddar cheese
Preparation: Combine beans, salsa and meaty crumbles together in pan and sauté for about 10 minutes.
Drizzle with Daiya cheese.